History – An American Dream
In the early part of the last century Gussie Belinsky was living in New York City and working in a factory. When she became ill her doctor prescribed country air. She went to the Catskill Mountains to improve her health where she booked a room at Jacob Wadler’s dairy farm and boarding house. Jacob courted her and they eventually married. Both immigrants, they raised their three sons on the farm in Halcott Center, New York.
In the spring of 1945, the family’s barn roof was in need of repair. The three boys, Bernard, Arthur & Herman saw an advertisement in the New York Times for shingles. They drove to New York City, and loaded their truck with shingles and nails. They hoped to be able to sell the extra shingles and nails to friends and neighbors.
The demand for shingles by the local Catskill residents was so great that they sold out of shingles before they had a chance to shingle their own roof. In the fall, they purchased more shingles to do their barn. This sparked an idea for the trio. They saw the need for building supplies in the area and decided to start selling building products.
In 1957 they moved into the empty Cauliflower packaging building on Depot Street in Fleischmanns, New York.
Two years later, in 1959, Wadler Brothers was incorporated. Inventory expanded and the business spread into several pole barn buildings. As Herman’s children, Jason, Lisa and Steven grew up they started working in the business. In 1996 the local redi-mix plant closed and numerous masons asked the Wadlers to add a redi-mix plant. Responding to the needs of the community, the grandchildren with their father, Herman, decided to add a redi-mix concrete plant. A new, larger, updated store was built in 2001 to provide easier shopping for customers and to have all merchandise under one roof. Wadler Bros. Inc. continues to be an independent, family owned and run business supplying our customers with the newest and most up-to-date products available.